Friday, November 26, 2010

Why so critical?

It's a known fact that being a woman isn't easy and we're under constant pressure to look our best. Got a bit of water retention and you'll get people telling you things along the likes "Having too much carb lately?". Have a couple of late work nights and the next couple of days someone is bound to say "You're looking so tired? What's with your eye bags?"....and you're supposed to smile and be okay with it....my ass cos hello? If you have nothing nice to say, zip it and the shitty part is, some of the most critical, ego-slashing comments come from women ourselves!

Just the other day I was at Kinokuniya's magazine section and I saw the latest Shape magazine cover with a new and very svelte Kelly Osbourne. While I was marveling at her wonderful transformation, I overheard two girls behind me talking about Kelly O on the cover...


"Wah, sure or not? Sure fake one, she where got so skinny, not possible lah, must be photoshopped, if not confirmed plastic surgery and liposuction"

"Her body's skinny but then her face still look fat like a bao (bun)"

"Either way, she's still ugly loh, dunno why they put ugly celeb on the cover"

Now seriously? Do you have to be THAT harsh? Since when did we women get so harsh on each other? I turned around to take a curious look at the two girls and pffffff!!....It's not like they're super models (one on the chubby side with muffin top and the other one decent but with bad pimply skin, I'm merely describing, not trying to insult). I don't understand it really....why so harsh? Cos we girls all know it's hard being female of the species, so instead of empowering each other, many women actually rip each other's esteem apart with vicious remarks. You don't see that on guys (straight ones I mean) and they tend to think each other are damn great even if they look like Danny DeVito.

Kelly O went from flab to fab and I think her Shape cover is AWESOME! Her healthy image is a far cry from the lost little overweight girl bugged by a drug habit, so people ought to cut her some slack! I love her! And can't we start being happy for other people's happiness and success? Time to be nice and kind to our own gender! Yes, no, maybe?!

3 comments:

natalie said...

i think the girls were jealous about kelly's transformation. but yes, not easy to be a woman.

B said...

I think so too. I think women generally find it hard to be happy for other people's success and happiness in general because of our tendency to be jealous and competitive. Human nature I guess...

Anonymous said...

she looks good to me, not *too* skinny. -hl

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails