Sunday, January 15, 2012
Have a Scotch!
Among most beauty products, nail polish is definitely one of the most toxic ones. Smelling it makes you high with its acrid glue-like stench and the thought of getting brain damage from its smell always flashes in my head every time I paint my nails. That's until I got to know of Scotch Naturals! Hallelujah to a safe, non-toxic option in tons of gorgeous colours!
Thing is, there are a lot of supposedly safer, non-toxic nail polish brands out there like Zoya, Mavala or Butter London (common brands like Sally Hansen, OPI and Revlon too in fact) that's "Three Free". They're free of the top three most toxic substances found in many nail polishes aka Dibutyl Phthalate, Formaldehyde Resin and Toluene. However, despite being Three Free, they're still loaded with a hell lot of chemicals and being Three Free means they simply don't have the MOST toxic stuff.
Scotch Naturals, on the other hand, is a water base option whose ingredients include only water, acrylic polymer emulsion and non toxic colorant, and they're tested for safety, making them truly non toxic. This non-toxic water base nail polish is also a proud signer of The Compact for Safe Cosmetics
I got Kiltlifter (a classic red) and On the Rocks Top Coat to test them out and I'm extremely happy to announce that Scotch Naturals is a major winner!!!
It paints on smoothly and dries faster than traditional toxic nail polish to give you a glossy finish. The colour is a bit lighter than the bottle but it's rich, vibrant and doesn't streak. Like its toxic counterpart, you need two coats for a nice even finish before topping it off with the top coat. But unlike its toxic cousin, the good thing is that there's no need for a base coat even with the darker colours! Instead, you would need to prep your nails a bit by buffing them (add a drop of jojoba oil if you have very dry nails) as the instruction says that it adheres best to healthy nails. Another tip is to apply before bedtime to let the paint sink in and adhere well so it lasts longer.
I was half-expecting it to chip like crazy cos it all seems too perfect to be true, but on the contrary, it lasted me a full week with just a wee bit of chipping just like any other nail polish. There's also no yellowing of my nails after I remove it so that's bonus point!
The verdict? I love Scotch Naturals! I'm switching to this safer options for good! Guess what? I just ordered two other colours now that it's passed the test with flying colours!