Saturday, December 12, 2009

Decluttering December

For reason only Miss F (aka OGT) knows, I'm cleaning out my bag closet and I'm horrified. There're so many bags and I already whittled the number by half from the last spring cleanout and still, there're so many (at my peak, I think I had more than 70 :s). So last night, I once again, halved the number of bags I have and I'm gonna sell off those that I don't use, or have never used for that matter. Okay, I feel horribly bad cos I shouldn't have recklessly spent my money on stuff that I hardly use or don't need (OGT, stop nagging!!! I'll really stop!).


The mess in my room before the decluttering...there're bags stuffed into bigger bags and boxes of more bags...sigh...

I have a problem. A bag problem. No, a general shopaholic problem to be honest and I need to stop. I buy when I'm sad, I buy when I'm happy, I buy when I'm bored, I buy when I have money, and I buy when I don't either. Why? Cos yes, I do like nice things but the compulsive bits come from the fact that somehow, the consumerism culture cons me into thinking that "well, if I have this and this, my life would be better"......so I'll whip out the plastic and assault my bank account.

Yesterday, a few swipes on the plastic later (okay, I confess, I bought something but only OGT knows what it is), I STILL feel strangely empty. It's supposed to make me feel happy, lessen the loneliness, banish the insecurity, heighten the level of inspiration and fill the empty void. But guess what? The false promises remain well, false. I still feel the same. I would think that your surroundings and belongings define who you are and well, don't we all try to search for who we are at some point? But after thinking about the whole situation last night with Mr Bond perched gingerly on my head (which by the way, set off a slew of sinus sneezes), I've come to realize that I'm just plain thick and stupid. The whole sense of self, well-being, self-worth and everything else really come from your mindset and boy, I do have a pretty lame one. Cos I actually think that buying things can really fill the emptiness within...Work harder perhaps....but you know what? I kinda blame it on consumerism...look, I know I'm thick to think that a bag would make me happy but cut me some slack will you? After all, we all slip at times...but sometimes, it does get a bit of a shock from the fast dwindling bank account to really wake you up a bit...

Which brings me to the next point. So does anyone want to buy my bags?? They're really quite nice!

1 comment:

Becky Cheung said...

I miss our lovely boy Mr. Bond a lot.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails