Thursday, May 27, 2010

The China Bear Rescue

Last night, I was watching tv with BB and they're showing a documentary on Moon Bear Rescue in China by the Animals Asia Foundation. It's heart wrenching and I didn't expect myself to be so affected to the point I was tearing at I watched how the bear was exploited and abused for their bile. I've long heard about the horror of bear farming and how the big Moon Bears are kept in tiny cages which render them immobile and the bloodcurdlingly painful catheter that is permenantly inserted into their abdomen for bile extraction.

Yes, those I've heard but I've never really had the gut to actually watch the documentary but last night, I did and I went to bed with a very heavy heart and a major hatred for all the bear farms....Some of the shots were so disturbing that I had to look away cos I honestly felt stab in my heart when I saw the state of the Moon Bears. Many of the bears have been painfully declawed and with their teeth saw off. Then it's the depressing common sight of the abdomen catheter and a swollen belly from the painful infection. Not to mention the self-inflicted injury from self-harm out of frustration. And of course, what you don't see, that is, the emotional abuse, is something I can only imagine. My heart sank.  It has once again, reinforced my believe that the human race is a major disgrace and is the worst living things on Earth for all the violence and abuse we not only do to each other but to animals...it's disgusting and honestly, a lot of people are worse than beasts....


Ciro in his farm cage. Moon bears can spend as long as 25 years in cages like this. Imagine yourself or your loved ones in that cage....

A latex catheter runs from the bear's gall bladder to the top of his thigh.

A metal jacket secures a latex catheter and bile collection bag in place for milking.

Steel catheters varying in length from 5-7.5cm are implanted in the abdomen.

Steel catheters that were removed from our rescued bears. Some were rusting away.


The new "humane" free-drip technique involves a permanently open wound.

The "Fake-free drip" technique sees a Perspex catheter hidden in a gall bladder.


A typical "modern" bear bile farm in China; farmers claim the industry is "humane". Yeah right, I'd like to see how if they'll still say it's humane if I stick them and their whole family in. The farms also breed bears and cubs are kept in tiny cages too :(

Anyway, I'm writing about it so that perhaps you would go check out their sight and gain some kind of awareness in this human-inflicted atrocity and hopefully, it would move you enough to help them. I'm gonna donate some money to them cos they're still very short of fund and I guess when I get my bonus, I'll give some (a larger chunk) to them as well... So check out Animals Asia Foundation and learn more about the horrible terror of bear farming...and I hope you'll help too. You can sponsor a bear on a monthly basis at only $45 USD and for $55USD, you can sponsor a bear with special needs (they're usually disabled due to traps and other injuries)...click HERE for more info...I'm thinking of sponsoring a bear now really....

I've always dreamt of working in foundation like that....at least it'll be something that I believe in and that makes a real and immediate difference....I dunno.....maybe one day....

8 comments:

Jess said...

That's just horrible. I've seen this on TV documentaries before. I'm a consumer jounralist and to be honest, us consumers have to power to stop these things. We just have to stop buying and spread the word. Sigh, unfortunately most of the customers are Chinese nationals right? The bile probably doesnt even help them. U have to wonder about human beings, some of us have no respect for the other animals we are sharing the planet with.

B said...

I know. It's really horrible. In the documentary, this Chinese herbalist was saying there're more the 50 herbal alternative replacements for bear bile but yet people are still consuming bear bile and not really switching to the plant alternative. It's plain stupidity. He also said that in the old medicine text, there was no mention of the use of bear bile and people recover from those time-tested recipe that is bear bile free, so why is there a need for bear bile now when people back then can recover from it. It's true isn't it?

I seriously think the human race is a major disgrace, the kind of violence we inflict on animals...it's really sad :(

Anonymous said...

it's horrible and i'm not condoning it, but put it in perspective; many in particularly rural areas in china don't even have respect for human lives (child labour, what amounts to slavery etc), what more animals. it's a shame that 5,000 years of civilisation but also a recent 50 years or so of utter improverishment has led to this. like an interviewee was saying in a political docu on china i saw recently: when you have economic progress, you can have dreams and when you have dreams, you behave less like animals --hl

B said...

@HL, yes I totally agree with you. I think the problem is not just in China but in most poor countries...but the atrocity inflicted on the bears is much much worst than say child labour though...it's really sad. I hope more people would come forth and help and donate money...how I wish I could work for them...

Jess said...

I don't think one can compare pain between one party and another.

Child labour can be horrific. Children are worked so hard they die of exhaution and are malnutritioned and torn away from their families. Remember the incident of children kidnapped and being made to work in coal mines in China?

B said...

True, agree you can't compare pain...I guess I'm just appalled by the atrocity the human race is capable of and is constantly inflicting on others, be it other human beings or animals. It's such a disgrace especially when we're supposed to be the one with a conscience...what an irony!

Kumi-chan ^.^ said...

I don't know what this horrible farm workers think. I don't understand how they can go on with their lives knowing all the pain they cause to those innocent bears.
As B says, human race is a major disgrace... we must do something, it doesn't matter which your nationality is, we all live here, in the same planet, we must put an end to this cruelty.
Sometimes I wish that animals could disappear, all of them, dogs, cats, bears, tigers, insects.. just humans here on earth. Let's see what happen then, let's see if we continue to be that powerful and can survive alone.

Jérôme François Falcon-Guay said...

Bless you for such a post as I pray for bears and their insane suffering to end.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails