Monday, May 31, 2010

Why I don't like chi-chi Charity Gala

The other day, I was talking about charity work and donation after being so affected by The China Bear Rescue and the topic of charity work came about while talking to my lovely Scott about helping and donating money to The China Bear Rescue. Then, I was reminded of how I used to organize charity gala dinner in my previous job for  a local children foundation (I won't mention the name)....and it's one of those chi-chi high society charity held in 5-star hotel and yeah, the type where socialites came in their most expensive gown, their towering Choos and Louboutins, their most sparkly blings with cements of face paint makeup and possibly enough hairspray to create another Ozone hole.....yes, those super glamorous charity dinner and auction that you read all about on society magazines....but you know what? Much as I applaud charity work and totally support it (I GIRO part of my pay to Club Rainbow and SPCA), I absolutely HATE chi-chi charity gala events cos I think they're bloody disgusting!

Why? First of all, if you think about it, why do you need a bloody charity gala to raise fund? We're talking about the top echelon of society whose monthly income can probably support a small starving village for a week and can't they just donate without the whole song and dance gala shebang? Holding a bloody gala takes a hell lot of money and I remembered gasping when I was ordered to buy a candle lebra for the VIP table and it's meant for a single use and guess how much the freaking thing cost? It cost a whopping $3,000--an average monthly pay of an average executive (if you're a well-paid one that is)!! WTF? And not to mention the thousands of dollars put into whipping out all those outlandish and expensive gourmet like the ever-so-cruel foie gras and bottles of vintage vin rose ! Why can't we just put those money directly into charity?

Well, some said oh that's an investment to raise more fund during the night of auction and whatnots...but seriously, can't you just appeal to the rich and ask them to donate without all this circus act? Seriously, if you attend one of these events, you'll see the same old familiar society cam whores who furiously pose for the camera and you know what? Sales reps of the society magazines told me these tai-tais relish at seeing themselves on the glossy pages and would buy the magazines in bulk to give it to their friends to show off. Okay, I'm side-tracking a bit but the point is, they get all these media coverage and praises for their chi-chi charity gala and their effort in doing charity...but what about those ordinary folks who actually put in effort and money without so much as to tell the whole world about it?

My dearie friend Scott often spends weekend morning cooking food for old folks and another friend of mine delivers rice to the old people living in 1-room HDB flats, and I volunteer for SPCA and Cat Welfare society and we don't go around bragging about it nor did anyone throw them a big glamorous party to make them do their voluntary work, so why must the rich peeps throw a charity gala just so they'll donate some money for the needy? Can't they just do it on their own accord? Or is it that they need all these events so they can show off their $25,000 dollar Valentino gown? (yes, someone wore a $25K gown during one of the event)...It really shits me cos it's almost like an insult to those who do REAL charity work, those who get down and dirty, who roll up their sleeves to do the real work.....so if you think about it that way, what glory is there in the bloody chi-chi charity gala? And did I mention tax relief? (they can file for tax relief with charity work...cheaper than paying the full taxes)....

What really horrified me when I was organizing the children charity gala was something that I observed. To thank the sponsors and donors, the children charity organizer I was working with then got about 40 underprivileged kids who are also the beneficiaries to go around the dinner table to present the guests with handmade tokens....nice gesture yes, except that once they presented the tokens, they're rushed home, without dinner, while the guest fed on foie gras and lobster platter....there wasn't so much as a cheap happy meal for the children....they simply brought them to the high class shiny 5-star hotel and then sent them back home....and you call that children charity....I suggested hosting the kids but guess what? Organizers said it's more important to sell the tables....how sad....

I was ranting to Uncle Josh about how the rich aren't that genuinely charitable...and he said well that's the reason why they're rich to begin with....I dunno...maybe....but really, I have more respect for those who're doing real charity work in the background...yes, the unsung heros...to those people, I take my hat off and I aspire to be more like them.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails